L.L.Bean has been a trusted source for quality apparel, reliable outdoor equipment and expert advice for over 100 years. Leon Leonwood Bean (L.L. Bean) founded his business in 1912 on a passion for the outdoors, a profound believe in honesty, and an unwavering commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. Since we opened for business, the principles of innovation, integrity, service and respect have helped develop our brand and fueled our success.
As Lead for L.L.Bean in our Retail Store in Charlottesville, VA you'll be joining one of the most respected retailers in the country. Satisfy your craving for problem solving in an active, busy job in a great work environment. You'll have the opportunity to use your ability to improve processes and organize to create efficient merchandise receiving and replenishment processes. Develop your leadership skills as you assist the area supervisor in creating a positive, engaged and focused work environment.
Responsible for all facets of brand presentation in assigned area sales floor service and salesfloor rep training. Maintains brand presentation standards including visual merchandising execution promotional and pricing strategies and daily replenishment routines. Accountable for maintaining an organized back of house areas ensuring product is easy to find and move to the sales floor. Drives sales rep training efforts with a focus on achieving results through the delivery of world-class customer service.
- Delivers an inspiring brand presentation. Inspires the customers to buy our products through good merchandising decisions. Drives routines to ensure store presentations are full and sized while maintaining impeccable brand presentation standards
- Demonstrates strong business and merchandising acumen communicating effectively about the business leveraging data to influence merchandise decisions.
- Executes all marketing efforts and strategies per directive including markdowns promotions and events.
Sales Floor Service and Rep training
- Models and fosters an environment where service is the top priority. Enthusiastically seeks opportunities to convert every customer that enters the store continually striving to drive sales and brand loyalty through great service. Rallies the rep team towards the same objective
- Understands and drives all facets of a seamless omni-channel customer experience. Comfortable using all forms of technology.
- Acts as a trainer for the rep team creating formal and informal training moments within the store leveraging company training tools and personal knowledge. Has a passion for learning and sharing product knowledge as a tool to build the sale and increase customer loyalty.
- Prepares & communicates daily task responsibilities to staff. Leverages knowledge and strengths to foster growth and development of the team
- Recommends adjustment to staffing levels/schedules to meet work requirements.
- Address and respond to employee issues/conflicts related to day to day operations within defined parameters in accordance with company policies and procedures under direction of supervisor.
- Provides in the moment input feedback and coaching. If performance concerns exist hands off to store management for performance management process
Total Store Accountability
- Aids in the achievement of all financial measures as well as area specific metrics.
- Key holder as required serving as a potential opener/closer for the store
- Acts as a Leader on Duty Drive sales and service engagement by coaching Reps for improvement in the moment
- May assist in the interviewing process and provide input into hiring decisions.
- Contributes to Peak planning preparation and readiness.
- Leverages knowledge and strengths to foster growth and development of the team
- Expense management ownership ensuring proper use of resources and adherence to budgetary guidelines with a focus on payroll management.
Health and Safety Requirement: Every employee is responsible for contributing to a safe and healthy workplace. Employees are expected to be active participants in health and safety by following all safety policies and procedures reporting unsafe conditions or at-risk behaviors to leadership and conducting work in a safe manner. Those in a leadership role are also expected to model safe behaviors evaluate risk and ensure that risks are reduced to acceptable levels.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Prior relevant experience desired
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams
- Excellent organizational time management and communication skills
- Systems knowledge and exposure a plus (POS Word Excel)
We recognize the importance of diversity in creating a better world and a stronger organization. L.L.Bean is an equal opportunity employer.
Are you a match maker? Are you an Outsider? We are looking for someone to represent our amazing Outdoor Discovery Programs and the goal is to have people fall in love with us and the outdoors through a variety of outdoor experiences. We create and inspire Outsiders!
The Outdoor Program and Outreach Coordinator helps execute Outdoor Discovery School (ODS) paid and unpaid programming as well as experiential events. This role is also responsible for building awareness for L.L.Bean in the local retail market through L.L.Bean social media communication with the press community outreach, and local marketing. During peak, this position will also support store service needs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to being part of a team responsible for local marketing for all stores and events within the market operational support for paid unpaid and experiential programming including Custom Programs and ensuring that customers have a world-class experience.
The Outdoor Program and Outreach Coordinator reports directly or indirectly to the ODS Program Supervisor or Field Operations Manager.
Instructors or Outing Leaders
- Oversee the ODS Instructor Team(s) at ODS sites and mobile experiential events
- Assist the ODS Field Operations Manager or Program Supervisor with recruiting hiring training scheduling and annual review of instructors
- In partnership with the ODS Field Operations Manager or Program Supervisor provide regular and timely coaching and feedback to instructors
- Complete Instructor Observation Form following SOP
- Daily management of instructor schedule to meet instructor to participant ratios and fill shifts for paid programming and experiential events
- Step into Instructor role if staffing needs or budget dictate
- Meet all job requirements of ODS Instructor in at least 1 activity
- Responsible for driving traffic to retail stores and events within the market through Social Media platforms such as: Facebook Twitter Meetup
- Create engaging appropriate on-brand posts that are shared widely
- Respond to and engage with customers appropriately on social media
- Build awareness of stores programs and events in the market through earned media and press
- Drives participation for paid and unpaid programming and big experiential events in market through creative local marketing and outreach efforts
- Complete the pre-and post-season equipment inventory and ensures all equipment is labeled following SOP
- Oversee the day to day management and operation of the ODS paid site
- May be asked to support operations at paid site occasionally as directed by Field Operations Manager (FOM)
- Part of team supporting/executing experiential events with staffing and on-the-ground support and oversight for activities
- Maintain orders and purchases in season ODS and LTBE supplies such as forms marketing collateral and tour supplies
- Promptly take out of service and report any damaged or unsafe equipment to the ODS FOM or Program Supervisor
- Ensure Instructors maintain store and secure all equipment and supplies and promptly report anything damaged missing or needing replenishment
- Ensure Instructors are completing required paperwork accurately and completely.
- Responsible for ensuring that ODS/LLB use of public sites does not impede public access at any time
Safety and Risk Management
- Follow all Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) Safety Policies and ensure all Instructors do as well
- Ensure Instructors understand and implement the Emergency Action Plan when needed
- Ensure that all work is completed in a way that promotes safety and manages risk for self instructors participants and public
- Complete ODS self-audits following SOP participates in FOM/Regional Supervisor audits
- Communicate any safety or risk management concerns to the ODS Field Operations Manager or Program Supervisor in a prompt and timely manner
- Conduct site assessments and ensures all permits are secured for paid unpaid and mobile experiential event
- Model and deliver world class customer service as an L.L.Bean brand ambassador.
- Resolve ODS service failures in partnership with the ODS Reservation Specialists, FOM, or Program Supervisor as necessary to ensure a positive customer experience
- Maintain professional presence and relations with instructors outside agencies partnership organization, and local neighbors
- Ensure the instructors deliver a world class outdoor instructional experience consistent with ODS curriculum and policies
ODS Revenue and Participation
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding annual participation goals for paid (include Custom Programs) unpaid and mobile experiential events
- Responsible for selling Custom Programs within market
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding revenue and expense goals and managing expenses to revenue
- Responsible for ensuring all data is accurate and current in PERS for all paid and unpaid programming
- Responsible for tracking all ODS expenses and using ODS departmental tracking tools and reporting
- Reviews and reacts to daily enrollment reports by adding or cancelling courses and instructors
- Partners with the ODS Field Operations Manager or Program Supervisor to develop new program proposals reacting to industry trends and customer demand.
Retail Store Responsibilities
- Drive participation in ODS programming (paid and unpaid) and experiential events by coaching front line employees to promote and sell events and providing ongoing training and support
- Deliver legendary world class customer service in the retail store. (When in/on the sales floor)
- Responsible for all aspects of unpaid programming; including marketing scheduling and delivery of clinics outings speakers and community service.
- Responsible for setting and maintaining the in store ODS Activity Calendar Board following SOP
- Support store during peak through floor coverage or other duties as directed by the store manager
- In partnership with store managers, addresses employee issues/conflicts and provides input feedback and coaching to front line employees
- Assist with interview and hiring process
- Lead and execute compliance with Loss Prevention policies and procedure
Health and Safety Requirement:
Every employee is responsible for contributing to a safe and healthy workplace. Employees are expected to be active participants in health and safety by following all safety policies and procedures reporting unsafe conditions or at-risk behaviors to leadership and conducting work in a safe manner. Those in a leadership role are also expected to model safe behaviors evaluate risk and ensure that risks are reduced to acceptable levels.
Skills and Qualifications
- Associate’s degree or equivalent.
- At least two years of relevant outdoor education experience and/or marketing experience
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights weekends and holidays
- Demonstrated customer service experience in a retail store environment
- Retail marketing and operational experience
- Able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of and comfort with social media platforms
- Strong technical skills in ODS activities and working knowledge specific to local market
- Successful completion of all skills assessments for activities offered at location
- Ability to maintain a high level of enthusiasm motivation and positive attitude
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated successful working relationships with peers and other management staff
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook Excel Word PowerPoint)
- Experienced in providing coaching and feedback
- Can prioritize many tasks and works calmly under pressure
- Takes own initiative working independently in a leadership role
- Expertise in active gear including archery biking camping fishing kayaking stand up paddleboarding snowshoeing and cross-country skiing
- Works as a team player with ODP team Brand Engagement other Program Coordinators in their market instructors and local store staff
- Certified in Basic First Aid or above and CPR.
- Additional certifications and specialized training in outdoor related activities desired
Much has changed since our start in 1912, but the important things remain the same. The values that the company's founder, L.L. Bean (Leon Leonwood Bean) was raised to believe in were simple and deeply ingrained. Nature is something to be revered. Family ties are a priority. Being neighborly is a matter of course. And "do unto others" is not just a saying but a way of life.
Over the past few years L.L.Bean has received numerous accolades including being named #1 in 2017 on Forbes Best Employers List for America’s Best Mid-Size Employers, thanks to the corporate culture and unique benefits we offer our employees:
- An excellent total compensation package
- Enhanced 401(k) retirement package
- Health care, including domestic partner and family coverage, across medical, dental, and vision
- Flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care
- Life insurance, including domestic partner and dependent coverage
- Discounts on L.L.Bean merchandise and Outdoor Discovery School adventures
- Employee Store
- Equipment loan program from the Employee Use Room
- Tuition reimbursement
- Access to L.L.Bean cabins and tent sites at Rangeley Lake for personal use
- Benefit eligibility varies according to employment status, level and location. For more details please visit our website at www.llbeancareers.com and refer to the benefits section.
L.L.Bean is an equal opportunity employer. We recognize the importance of diversity in creating a better world and a stronger organization.
L.L.Bean promotes a tobacco free work environment, a culture of safety and believes in healthy lifestyle choices. We encourage healthy lifestyles for all employees through education and a variety of health promoting activities.
Email Alert Options
You can save these search settings as an email alert, meaning an email will be sent to you every time a new opening matches your criteria. If you would like to create an email alert, please fill out the form below and click the save button.